Friday, 25 October 2019
141 additional Nigerian refugees return from Libya
On Thursday, 24 October, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) received another batch of 141 stranded Nigerian returnees from Libya.
The coordinator of NEMA's Territorial Office in Lagos, Alhaji Abubakar Muhammed, received the returnees on behalf of the Federal Government in the cargo wing of Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
Muhammed told reporters that the returnees had boarded a hired aircraft with flight number UZ389 / 24 and registered 5A-DMG at 16:32. He added that his return had been facilitated by the European Union and the International Organization for Migration as part of a collaborative project that had seen about 15,000 Nigerians stranded since 2017, the year of the beginning of the exercise.
"At the end of the returnee profile, there were 42 women, 19 girls and five babies. They also brought back 55 men, 14 boys and six boys, "Muhammed said.
Upon arrival, Jubril Bukar, a returnee from Gwoza (Borno State), told his story to reporters. According to him, he left Nigeria in 2013 in the hope of going to Germany without being able to observe the Mediterranean Sea and decided to settle in Libya. Bukar said he had left Nigeria because of the threat of Boko Haram that led to the killing of his parents in his presence.
"I had a wife and four children before leaving Nigeria, but now I have lost two children. My wife can not be found One of my children is said to be in Lokoja and another one in Kaduna. It will take time to locate them, but I am sure to locate them.
"I went back to Nigeria without anything, but I can say that I am a professional because I learned plumbing and other handicrafts. I urge Nigerians not to think about going to Libya. I thank President Muhammadu Buhari for his help in my return to Nigeria, "he said.